A great twist on a classic sandwich!
I’ve always adored bacon-lettuce-tomato (BLT) sandwiches and to this day, they’re one of my go-to choices when visiting a diner. I usually add cheese to my order and, if the kitchen is amenable, I like to find out what else they can tuck inside, like sliced onion or avocado. This salad perfectly captures all the flavour of the BLT sandwich, presented in a fun new way. Look for jars of good-quality ranch dressing in the produce section of your local grocery store to make this quick and easy dish. By all means add in some diced avocado if that’s how you roll! If you love pasta salads like I do, you might also enjoy this one.
- 4 cups (1 L) uncooked bow tie pasta (regular, whole wheat or gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) good quality ranch dressing
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups (500 mL) quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) smoked or regular sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely sliced red onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced parsley (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare vegetables, bacon and cheese for salad.
- Drizzle the ranch dressing over the top and stir gently to evenly coat pasta.
- Add lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, salt, pepper, onion (if using), cheddar and parsley (if using).
- Toss gently and serve immediately.
- NOTE: If you want to prepare this dish in advance and serve as a cold salad, toss the pasta with the dressing and season with salt and pepper, then refrigerate. Add the lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, onion, cheddar and parsley right before serving to keep them from wilting or browning.