A fast way to add flavour to any meal!
I love making quick pickles just a jar or two at a time as I find it’s just such an easy way to capture the flavours of fresh produce at any time of the year. These pickled cucumbers take just moments to make and add a nice pop of flavour to any meal. If you’re interested in learning more about how easy quick pickles are to prepare, you might like to try pickled blueberries, pickled grilled corn, pickled cauliflower or pickled turnip.
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vinegar (apple cider, white, and rice wine are all good)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) white sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) salt
- 2 cups/500 mL sliced baby cucumbers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) dill flowers
- Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve salt and sugar.
- Pack sliced cucumbers, onion and dill flowers into two clean 1 cup / 250 mL canning jars. Pour hot brine over top.
- Put lids on jars and let sit at room temperature until cool, then refrigerate for up to 2 months.
- Pickles will be ready to eat in 12 hours; you can sprinkle additional dill flowers over top when serving if you like.
Makes 2 jars.
I’ve always wanted to can but really don’t want to buy all the equipment. This is perfect for me to try. On my list for this week! Thanks Paula. Susan
So great that you are ready to try quick pickles! If you like this one be sure to check out the other recipes linked in this piece (and there are LOADS of others on my website too). One or two jars at a time is the way to go, in my opinion! So fast and easy! Hope to hear from you after your success!