A delicious, nutritious warming beverage ready in 5 minutes
Although it’s an ancient spice long favoured in many Asian and East Asian cultures, golden-hued turmeric has only recently been gaining a lot of attention in the West. Touted for its powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it’s also purported to boost brain function, and many consider it useful to reduce the risk of heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer. I know people who are so convinced turmeric is a superfood that they keep a shaker of turmeric on their dining room table and add it to every meal. If that sounds a little extreme, then why not try giving this delicious, healthful drink a try instead? It’s simple to make and can even be prepared in larger batches and refrigerated for a few days. Drink it warm, at room temperature or cold, either to start your day or as a delicious pick-me-up whenever you need an energy boost. And if you enjoy this turmeric-tinged beverage, check out this equally-lovely turmeric and orange cocktail!
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons raw honey (or agave syrup for vegans)
- 1 cinnamon stick, snapped in half
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed to open and expose seeds
- 3 slices fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon bruised peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric root
- Put the almond milk in a small pot over medium-low heat.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir.
- Heat, stirring often, for 3 – 5 minutes until the mixture is steaming but not boiling.
- Strain the mixture into a mug. If you like, froth the top with a whisk or electric frother.