An easy and flavourful side dish!
Move over, cheese sauce. Cauliflower is about to get all zippy and exciting thanks to a great blend of seasonings and some quick oven-roasting. This side dish – regular or vegan – will perk up any menu; it would be great with roast pork or chicken as well as fantastic with grilled fish or steak. Needless to say, any vegetarians at your table would also be pretty happy to see this on their plates. Best of all, if you’re a ‘make as much of the meal ahead of time as possible’ cook, it’s equally delicious warm or at room temperature.
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter (use good quality olive oil for vegan version)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch (22.5 x 32.5 cm) baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put cauliflower florets in a large bowl and toss with salt and pepper.
- In a dry skillet, toast coriander and cumin seeds until they are fragrant, being careful not to burn them.
- Remove from pan and let cool a few moments then grind them with a mortar and pestle or other spice grinder.
- Melt butter in a small bowl or glass measure; combine with lemon juice and all seasonings.
- Drizzle butter mixture over the cauliflower and toss well to combine.
- Pour the cauliflower into the prepared baking pan, scraping out the bowl to ensure all the seasonings go onto the vegetables.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until the largest florets feel tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
One of my favorite veggies; I love the spice mixture you’re using!
I think cauliflower gets overlooked by many people – I love it too! Hope you get a chance to try this recipe – so easy and SO flavourful!
I’m not a big cauliflower fan, but I get some occasionally in my CSA box, so am looking for a good recipe. This might be it. I love roasting veggies, as it brings out great flavours, and your spice mix sounds delicious. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂
You’re so welcome! Please let me know what you think, if you make it!