Tropical flavours shine in this dish!
In the Caribbean, many farmers now grow delicious, drought-resistant cabbage that appears on tables far more often than delicate lettuce. I created this salad to bring together some of my favourite tropical flavours, including curry, oranges, avocados and coconut. It gets an enthusiastic response every time I serve it, thanks to its cheerful good looks and bright taste.
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 navel oranges
- 6 cups (1.4 L) thinly sliced Napa or Savoy cabbage
- 4 cups (1 L) baby spinach leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, in thin strips
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 medium-ripe avocados
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together lime and orange juices, vinegar, mustard, curry powder, salt, and pepper, then add oil in a stream, whisking until thickened and emulsified.
- Add maple syrup to taste and set aside until ready to assemble salad.
- Carefully toast coconut in a frying pan over medium-low heat, stirring often, until it is light brown and fragrant. Remove coconut from pan immediately so it will stop browning and set aside.
- With a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from oranges. Cut into quarters and cut the sections crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Put cabbage, spinach, cabbage, red pepper and carrots in a large bowl and toss with about 1/3 cup of the vinaigrette.
- Halve, pit, and peel avocados, then cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add to the salad and toss very gently.
- You can plate individual salads and top each with the toasted coconut, or pass the salad, coconut and extra dressing separately at the table.
Serves 8 – 10.
This just looks delicious, I love it!! Can’t wait to try this one! 🙂
Thanks! It really is fabulous – full of flavour and crunch!
I love salads, I have marked this one for trial. Thanks for stopping by and have a pleasant week!
I love salads too! Thanks for the kind words and I hope this one brightens your week when you get a chance to try it.
I am back to say thank you for liking my post. I do appreciate. Will let you know when I try this one! Thanks!