A gourmet meal that’s ready in just 15 minutes!
We are big pasta fans over here at Constantly Cooking and I am always looking for new flavour combinations to test out, preferably ones that are super quick and easy. Who knew pasta shells with tomatoes, peaches and cheese could be so unforgettably delicious? Penne with smoked salmon, cream cheese and loads of fresh dill? Yes please! And spaghetti with creamy avocado sauce – absolutely heavenly. This dish may be our new favourite – packed with flavour and so speedy to prepare. If you’re fortunate to have any leftovers for breakfast the next day, the pasta is absolutely sublime with a poached egg on top. I might just make a batch later this week to specifically enjoy the next morning!
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced onion
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced in 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) basil pesto
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated parmesan
- 1 pound (454 g) fresh linguine or fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) kosher salt
- additional grated parmesan, to garnish
- Heat olive on in a large skillet placed over medium heat. Add onions and chicken; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until chicken is no longer pink (5 – 7 minutes).
- Push the chicken and onions to one side of the pan. Add the butter and when it has melted, add the mushrooms. Sauté over medium-high heat until browned; about 3 minutes.
- Pour pesto and cream over chicken and vegetable mixture and sprinkle parmesan on top. Stir gently to blend. Let come just to a boil then reduce heat to lowest setting and cover pot. Reduce heat to medium low and stir occasionally as it simmers while you cook the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in salt and then add pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions (most recommend no more than 2 – 3 minutes of cooking for fresh linguine or fettuccine) and drain.
- Divide pasta among serving dishes and top with sauce then garnish with a little more parmesan.
Makes 4 generous servings.