Three words I never thought I’d hear my husband say? “I love kale!” This salad must have magical properties – or at least a magical taste – because I’ve never seen him dive into a bowlful of greens with such gusto. I have to admit that I find this salad so yummy that I almost forget how healthy it is as we gobble it up. A nice thing about kale is that it softens up quite nicely once you’ve massaged the dressing into it, but it doesn’t get all soggy and yucky the way some greens do. In fact, it is just as good the next day, though I’d be surprised if you have any leftovers. I adore salads and this recipe has just vaulted its way to the top of my list of favourites. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
6 cups shredded kale (1 medium bunch)
zest of one lemon
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
2 tablespoons good-quality balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Remove tough lower stems from kale, wash and dry the leaves.
- Slice kale crosswise into ½ inch wide strips and place into a serving bowl. If the leaves are large, split them down the middle (along the stem) before slicing.
- Zest lemon and add zest to the kale. Squeeze out 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and reserve for dressing.
- Make dressing by stirring together lemon juice with salt and pepper. Add balsamic and olive oil, stir vigorously (or shake in a jar with a tight lid) so the dressing emulsifies and thickens.
- Pour dressing over kale and use your hands to gently massage it into the kale. Yup – massage it in. It’s messy, but completely worthwhile.
- Once all the greens are covered, let the kale sit for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve the salad, sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the kale and toss to blend thoroughly.