Quick and easy soup!
This soup has a bold flavour that is best enjoyed in small doses, hence the recommendation to serve it in shot glasses, demitasses or tiny bowls. Its vibrant red hue will add a bright pop of colour to any summertime menu, though it’s equally lovely at any time of the year. I’ve adapted this slightly from a version I saw in Bon Appetit magazine.
- 1 500 mL (16 ounce) jar of roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) red wine vinegar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) white wine or water
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) black pepper
- 4 tablespoons (60 mL) olive oil
- lemon wedges
- optional garnishes: minced parsley, crumbled feta
- Put peppers and their juices, vinegar, wine or water, salt and pepper in a blender and puree until very smooth (you can also use an immersion or stick blender to do this).
- Add the oil in a slow, steady stream and continue to puree to incorporate the oil.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (vinegar, salt, pepper) to suit your tastes.
- Pour into a glass jar with a tight lid and refrigerate until serving time.
- When ready to serve, pour 1 – 2 ounces of soup into serving vessels.
- Squeeze lemon juice over each serving and add a small sprinkle of garnishes, if using.
Recipe makes approximately 500 mL (2 cups) of soup.