A vegan-friendly alternative to tuna or chicken salad!
A friend who knows I am a lifelong lover of tuna salad challenged me to make a tasty vegan version of my favourite sandwich, thinking I might have a hard time coming up with an alternative. The answer was easy: mashed chickpeas make a fantastic sandwich filling, especially when you add in plenty of flavourful ingredients. This mixture is equally delicious served in cute little lettuce cups or can be spooned over a bowlful of your favourite greens plus it makes a fantastic dip for chips or cut vegetables. If you’re looking for more tasty ways to enjoy chickpeas, check out this handy recipe roundup.
- 1 19 oz (540 mL) can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup (25 g) minced celery
- 1/4 cup (13 g) minced shallot or green onion
- 1/4 cup (35 g) minced dill pickles (optional but delicious)
- 2 tablespoons (8 g) minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup (57 g) mayonnaise (regular or vegan)
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) dill pickle brine (optional but delicious)
- Pour chickpeas into a colander. Rinse well under cool, running water then drain well.
- Put chickpeas in a broad bowl and mash with a fork. Alternatively, you can pulse them in a food processor then transfer to a bowl.
- Add celery, onion, pickles, parsley, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, lemon juice and pickle brine to the bowl. Stir well to thoroughly incorporate all ingredients.
- Mixture can be used immediately or refrigerated until ready to use. Scoop into lettuce cups or make sandwiches by spreading chickpea salad on toasted bread, putting lettuce or cucumber slices in the middle if you like.
- Refrigerate any leftover chickpea salad in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Makes 3-4 sandwiches (depending upon size of bread and how much filling you choose to use).