A tasty and nutritious vegan meal or side dish!
I love this dish for so many reasons. It’s super-fast and easy to make, colourful, nutritious and, most importantly, really delicious. You can prepare the vegetables ahead of time then roast them right before serving, for a great make-ahead option. The protein-packed crunchy topping is a great addition; I make big batches of crispy lentils (as well as salt and vinegar crispy chickpeas and chili-lime crispy chickpeas) on a regular basis and toss them on top of sorts of things, including soups, green salads and more.
For the salad
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets (about 4 cups / 1 L)
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cut in 3/4 inch (2 cm) cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) each salt, pepper and smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL each garlic powder and chili pepper
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) rice or cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive, canola or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) maple syrup or honey or agave syrup (or more, to taste)
- Pinch each salt, pepper and smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) minced chives or green onion tops
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) crispy lentils or roasted sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Alternatively, set air fryer to 375F.
- Put prepared vegetables in a large bowl. Drizzle oil over top and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with seasonings and toss again.
- Transfer vegetables to the prepared baking sheet and roast for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until just tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. If using air fryer, set timer to 20 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, shake together the dressing ingredients in a small jar; set aside. Also while vegetables roast, prepare toppings.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a serving bowl. Shake dressing once again then drizzle it over the vegetables, tossing to coat evenly. Sprinkle with minced green onion tops and crispy lentils or sunflower seeds.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves 3-4 as a main course or 6 – 8 as a side dish.
looks great. sounds delicious!
Thanks so much!