A fun way to enjoy a favourite summer vegetable!
I love corn on the cob and it is one of the aspects of mid-summer that I most eagerly anticipate every year. Lately I’ve been trying to play around with different preparations for this favoured vegetable and I’m really happy with this salad. It’s quick to prepare and makes a great side dish (especially with burgers) or vegetarian main dish. You can adjust the heat to suit your preferences and even add in other elements (grilled red pepper or diced avocado would be great). If you enjoy this salad, you might also like this delightful grilled corn and zucchini salad, this pickled grilled corn, these grilled corn and zucchini fritters or my grilled corn, tomatillo and red pepper salsa.
- 4 ears of fresh corn, shucked and lightly oiled (olive or vegetable oil)
- 5 teaspoons (25 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) very finely crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) chili powder, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- While barbeque (grill) preheats to medium-high heat, combine mayonnaise, lime juice, sour cream, 1/3 cup (90 mL) of the finely crumbled feta, pepper and chili powder in a small bowl. Stir until well blended and refrigerate until just before serving time.
- When grill is hot, place corn directly on the grate and cook, turning occasionally, until kernels are tender (test with the tip of a sharp knife) and corn is lightly charred. This should take about 8 – 10 minutes depending upon how hot your grill is. Remove corn from grill.
- Let corn cool a few minutes then remove kernels from cobs with a sharp knife or corn stripper. Place cooked kernels in a serving bowl and keep at room temperature until ready to serve (for up to 6 hours).
- When ready to serve, drizzle dressing mixture over the corn and toss to combine.
- Garnish salad with chopped cilantro, remaining feta and lime wedges (for squeezing over top). Have a shaker of chili powder available so those who wish extra heat can sprinkle some more on.
Makes 4 servings.