A sweet-salty-spicy treat!
My mom’s savoury nuts ‘n bolts were a highlight of the holiday snacks menu when I was growing up. I loved every component – the Cheerios, pretzels, peanuts and Shreddies, not to mention the tangy sauce that got drizzled over and baked in, making the house smell amazing. I still have a huge soft spot for this classic mix, but I’ve had fun coming up with some new varieties to spice things up. My new favourite is this maple-cayenne-cardamom infused variety. If needed, you can use gluten-free pretzels and Chex cereal. This mix makes a fantastic hostess or teacher gift …. and you might want to make a double batch as it tends to disappear very quickly.
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL)canola oil
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) freshly ground cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)small pretzel twists or sticks
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) wheat squares (Shreddies) cereal
- 1 cup (250 mL) each raw almonds, pecan halves and raw whole cashews
• Preheat oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine canola oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, ground cardamom, salt and cayenne. Stir to blend well.
• In a very large bowl, gently combine the pretzels, cereal and nuts.
• Drizzle the maple syrup mixture over top and gently toss until everything is evenly coated.
• Spread the mixture evenly onto the lined baking sheet.
• Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring gently every 5 minutes. Mixture should look dry and be a deep golden colour when done.
• Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
• Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Makes 6 cups.
Well done, P!
Thanks! Threw in the gluten-free option just for you! 🙂
I appreciate that more than I can ever convey.
Your timing rocks; my stomach issues have been worse than ever lately.
It’s a tough time of year for bodies and brains. Take care of yourself.
I’m trying, thanks again.
Delicious! Just made these for the first time today. Will put them in pretty bags for little xmas gifts.
So glad you tried the recipe and liked it! I need to bag the next batch I make, instead of eating it. 🙂