A super make-ahead snack for sports fans!
When presented with this dish for taste testing a few days ago, my menfolk were rendered speechless, in a good way. Meaty, cheesy and full of flavour, it’s scrumptious and satisfying and really does taste exactly like a bacon cheeseburger! It will definitely be on our Superbowl menu this year, and possibly for many years to come. I like to prepare individual-sized dishes of the dip to make it easier to serve and enjoy.
- 6 strips bacon, cooked crispy then chopped into 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) pieces
- 3/4 pound (340 grams) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) ketchup
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) diced dill pickle
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced green onions, for garnish
- pita, tortilla or potato chips, for dipping
- Put the chopped, cooked bacon in a large mixing bowl.
- Sauté the ground beef in a medium-sized frying pan placed over medium heat, stirring often to break up clumps.
- When the meat is no longer pink, add the chopped onions and garlic to the pan. Stir well and cook 3 – 4 minutes, or until the onions have softened and the meat is completely cooked.
- Add the meat and onion mixture to the bacon in the bowl.
- Add the cream cheese to the hot meat mixture and stir to blend well.
- Add the mayonnaise, shredded cheeses, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, tomato and pickle to the bowl. Stir gently until everything is evenly combined.
- At this point the dip can be covered and refrigerated for up to 48 hours.
- When ready to finish, preheat oven to 375F.
- Transfer the dip mixture into a 6 cup (1.5 L) oven-safe casserole dish (or four smaller dishes). Cook in preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes, until top is golden brown and sides are bubbling.
- Garnish with minced green onions and serve with your choice of dippers.
You do realize you had me at bacon, right?
bacon=life … right? 🙂
Though, ironically, too much bacon = heart disease or diabetes which = death.
All things (even the most delicious ones) in moderation, right?
Right as always!