A family-friendly twist on a favourite meal!
This nutritious, gluten-free dish is quick to prepare and super flexible, as you can customize it to incorporate any of your favourite pizza components. The pizza topping and sauce mixture can be prepared ahead of time and then you just need to fill the scooped-out halved zucchini ‘boats’, top with cheese and bake. Note that you can easily omit the meat for a vegetarian version and use your favourite non-dairy cheese for a vegan treat that’s sure to please. If you like this dish, you might also enjoy a similar one made with portobello mushrooms.
- 3 medium-sized zucchini
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (75 g) diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup (50 g) diced mushroom
- 1/2 cup (26 g) diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup (35 g) diced pepperoni (optional)
- 1/4 cup (45 g) diced olives (optional)
- 1 cup (110 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Wash zucchini and slice in half lengthwise. With a melon baller or regular spoon, scoop out most of the pale green flesh, taking care not to pierce the dark green skin. Place the hollowed-out zucchini halves on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Make the filling by heating the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet placed over medium heat. Add diced green pepper, mushrooms and onion; cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pizza sauce, pepperoni and olives, if using.
- Divide filling mixture evenly among the zucchini boats, packing in gently with your fingers or a spoon. Top each stuffed zucchini with mozzarella.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until zucchini boats have softened and cheese is browned and bubbly. Garnish with chopped basil leaves and serve hot.
Serves 3; recipe can easily be multiplied.