A crisp, refreshing snack or appetizer!
I wish I’d learned years ago that frying segments of rice paper transforms them into delicious little boats ready to be filled with all sorts of savoury delights. This shrimp-studded Vietnamese-style coleslaw is absolutely terrific; I could also see putting egg roll filling in them, or possibly shredded honey-garlic chicken. The rice paper puffs can be fried up to 24 hours in advance; once cooled, store in an airtight container.
- 1/4 cup (15 g) minced shallot
- 1/2 tsp(2.5 g) Sambal Oelek (chili paste with garlic) or sriracha
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 3 tablespoons (41 g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) water
- 2 1/2 cups (6 oz / 170 g) shredded green or Napa cabbage
- 1 cup (110 g) shredded carrot
- 1 cup (120 g) thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1/2 cup (115 g) thinly sliced radish (optional but delicious)
- 1/4 cup (5 g) each fresh mint, cilantro and basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (100 g) small cooked shrimp, peeled
- 1/4 cup (35 g) coarsely chopped peanuts
Rice paper puffs:
- 6 six-inch sheets of rice paper, halved OR 3 eight-inch sheets, quartered
- Canola or other neutral oil, for frying
- Make dressing by placing all ingredients in a small jar with a tight lid; shake to blend well. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Make salad by gently tossing together everything except the peanuts. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 24 hours if not serving immediately.
- Make the rice paper puffs by cutting the sheets as directed above with sharp scissors.
- Heat one inch (2.5 cm) of oil in a large skillet placed over medium heat. It will be hot enough to fry when the bubbles form around the tip of a chopstick (or the end of the handle of a wooden spoon) is inserted into the oil. Gently place the pieces of rice paper into the oil, one at a time, and cook until crisp (this will take just a few seconds Remove with a skimmer or slotted spoon or strainer and place on paper towel to drain.
- When ready to serve, drizzle dressing over the coleslaw and toss. Scoop coleslaw into rice paper puffs then sprinkle with peanuts and serve immediately.
Makes 12 portions.