A next-level dessert!
As a lifelong fan of both donuts and ice cream, I don’t know why I didn’t think of this terrific dessert years ago. Donuts ‘as is’ would be just fine, but grilling (or broiling or frying) them really takes the texture and flavour to the next level. Storebought sauces are absolutely fine with this treat, but if you wish to make your own caramel sauce or chocolate sauce, you can find my favourite recipes here, to make it extra-special. This is also a dessert that is super easy to modify for food preferences; you can use gluten-free donuts, lactose-free or vegan butter and ice cream or even frozen yogurt if you wish. Note that the donuts can be grilled up to 4 hours ahead to make for a speedier assembly at serving time. If you like this dessert, you might also enjoy my grilled strawberry shortcakes.
- 4 old-fashioned (plain) donuts (regular or gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) melted butter (regular, lactose-free or non-dairy)
- 1 tablespoon (30 mL) maple syrup
- Ice cream or frozen yogurt (regular, lactose-free or non-dairy)
- Chocolate and/or caramel sauce
- Fresh fruit, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Split donuts lengthwise (like the way you would cut a bagel or English muffin).
- Combine melted butter and maple syrup; brush on both sides of donuts.
- Grill the donut halves, carefully flipping once, till crispy (about 2 – 3 minutes per side).
- Remove donuts from grill and let cool at least 5 minutes.
- Put a little ice cream in the bottom of 4 serving dishes. Add a donut layer, more ice cream, another half donut, a little more ice cream and drizzle sauce on top. Top with fresh fruit if desired. Serve immediately.