A healthy-ish treat that’s ready in minutes!
We’ve been told for years that eating dark chocolate is good for our health in multiple ways, so I decided to make a good thing even better by adding some heat. And guess what? Chili powder is also good for us – it can lower your body’s sugar levels and reduce the amount of insulin your body needs. The next addition: cinnamon, a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant with also lowers blood sugar levels. The crowning touch for this healthy treat is granola, adding a burst of fibre, crunch and flavour to this not-too-sweet treat. I’ll be gifting a lot of this simple to prepare snack this holiday season.
- 1 250 g / 9 oz package of dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granola *
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) flaky sea salt (I use Maldon)
* break up any large clumps in the granola before sprinkling over melted chocolate. Add in any favourite ingredients like toasted nuts or chopped dried cranberries if you wish.
- Line a small baking pan (approximately 8 x 12 inches / 20 x 30 cm) with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt dark chocolate in microwave or in the top of a double boiler, stirring every 20 seconds until melted and smooth. Stir in cinnamon and chili powder then spread onto parchment-lined tray (don’t worry if it doesn’t completely fill the tray as you will be breaking it into irregular pieces).
- Immediately scatter granola over chocolate and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes. Break into pieces to serve.
- Can be refrigerated up to 1 month.
Makes approximately two dozen small pieces.