As nutritious and flavourful as it is colourful and easy!
I love grain salads, whether as side dishes, part of a brunch buffet or as a packable lunch option. At this time of year, adding fruit seems essential when we’re all craving sunshine and warmth. This grain salad is best made with either bulgur or freekeh, the two varieties of cracked wheat which should be the easiest to find in most grocery or health food stores. It’s quick to prepare and lasts well for several days in the fridge. If you enjoy this recipe, I encourage you to try this cracked wheat and chickpea salad; it’s equally delicious.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cracked wheat
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pomegranate arils (seeds)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled feta (omit for vegan version)
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) maple syrup or agave
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- Put cracked wheat, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium-sized pot with a lid. Stir to combine then bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 – 18 minutes, until all water is absorbed.
- While cracked wheat is cooking, prepare the cucumber, pomegranate seeds and feta and set aside.
- Make dressing by putting lemon juice, salt, pepper and maple syrup in a small jar with a tight lid. Cover and shake well to blend. Add olive oil and shake well once again.
- Once cracked wheat is cooked, fluff it with a fork then transfer it to a serving bowl. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to promote cooling. You can refrigerate it if you need to speed things up.
- Once cooked cracked wheat has cooled, chop the mint. Add mint, cucumber, pomegranate and feta to the cracked wheat, stirring gently to combine. Drizzle dressing over top and stir gently once more.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Serves 2 as a generous lunch or 4 as a side salad and can easily be multiplied.