Vietnamese-inspired dish a perfect way to enjoy leftover ham!
I think I might be onto a flexible, delicious idea for a recipe series…imagine bread salad reimagined for different cuisines and flavour profiles! Let’s get the party started with this Vietnamese-inspired version which I find even more delicious that a classic tomato-ey, basil-ey Tuscan Panzanella. This recipe is based on the traditional Bánh mì sandwich, which consists of baguette-style bread filled with meat, mayonnaise, cilantro, cucumber and pickled carrots. I love this satisfying salad because not only is it packed with bright, fresh flavours; it’s also a great way to use up leftover ham and baguette. If you’re a fan of Vietnamese cuisine (as I am) you might also enjoy this pasta salad or coleslaw or this chicken or shrimp salad.
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) white sugar
- 1 baguette, cut in 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick slices
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 – 2 teaspoons (5 – 10 mL) sriracha or to taste
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) soy sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced ham, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) canola oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sesame oil
- Lime wedges
- In a small pot or microwave safe dish, heat rice vinegar and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar then pour over shredded carrots which have been placed in a shallow bowl. Let sit 15 minutes to slightly pickle carrots, stirring occasionally.
- While carrots are pickling, preheat broiler.
- Combine mayonnaise, sriracha and soy sauce and spread on bread slices.
- Place bread, spread side up, on a baking tray.
- Broil about 5 inches from the heat until golden brown.
- While bread is broiling, drain carrots, reserving pickling liquid.
- Let bread cool to lukewarm then cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a serving bowl, toss bread cubes with drained carrots, ham, cucumber and cilantro.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of pickling liquid with the canola and sesame oils. Whisk to blend well then drizzle over the bread salad.
- Serve with lime wedges on the side.