A flavourful twist on traditional coleslaw!
While it has the traditional coleslaw base of cabbage and carrots, the addition of pineapple along with a ginger-soy-lime dressing gives this tropical slaw a flavourful twist. Serve it with Asian dishes, burgers, or even pulled pork and get ready for the rave reviews from your taste testers. It’s super fast to prepare and can even be made a day ahead of time. Looking for another tasty variation on coleslaw? Check out this Vietnamese-inspired version.
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced fresh pineapple
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) soy sauce (use tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) finely grated fresh ginger root
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 mL) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sesame oil
- juice of 1/2 lime (approximately 1 tablespoon/15 mL)
- few drops sriracha (optional but delicious)
- generous pinch salt
- garnish: a sprinkle each of toasted sesame seeds, additional thinly sliced green onions
- Combine carrots, cabbage, pineapple and green onions in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients (or shake together in a small jar with a tight lid). Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine.
- Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up 24 hours prior to eating.
- Add garnishes just before serving.
Serves 4 – 6.