A fun and festive dessert!
I love using mascarpone in cheesecake-style desserts because it has a soft, satiny texture and less sodium than cream cheese. Combining whipped mascarpone with the fixings for cheesecake crust and canned apple pie filling makes for a most splendid no-bake dessert. You could easily cook up your own sliced apples with sugar and spices, but on a hot summer’s day, why not give yourself a little break and make this 10 minute dessert instead?
- 1 cup (250 mL) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature*
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white sugar
- 8 graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) white sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned apple pie filling
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground cinnamon
*Substitute with cream cheese if you prefer.
- In a medium bowl, blend together mascarpone and 1/4 cup sugar; beat until smooth.
- Place graham crackers in a zippered sandwich bag and seal bag. Crush crackers with the bottom of a sturdy glass or mug.
- Pour graham crumbs into a small bowl. Add sugar and melted butter; stir to combine.
- Combine apple pie filling with cinnamon; break up apple pieces with edge of spoon as you stir them together.
- Place about 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of apple pie filling in the bottom of four serving dishes (small mason jars, cocktail glasses or even wine glasses work well).
- Put 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of the mascarpone mixture on top, then add a tablespoon (15 mL) of the graham crumb mixture.
- Repeat all three layers; sprinkle with a bit more cinnamon for garnish.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 4 individual desserts; recipe can easily be doubled.