The great taste of pumpkin pie without all the effort!
When it’s really hot out, the last thing I want to do is turn on the oven to cook. Yet, at the same time, I cannot imagine entertaining friends and family but not serving dessert. This recipe is perfect for summertime dining, whether at home, at the cottage or even on a picnic. It’s healthy, really quick to pull together and is a great make-ahead option too. Plus, it tastes just like pumpkin pie….and who doesn’t love pumpkin pie?
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) unseasoned canned pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) each powdered ginger, cloves and cinnamon
- 8 ginger cookies
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipped cream, slightly sweetened
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, yogurt, maple syrup and seasonings.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the pumpkin mixture in the bottom of four serving dishes (small mason jars, cocktail glasses or even wine glasses work well).
- Add a dollop of whipped cream to each dish.
- Crumble one cookie into each dish.
- Repeat all three layers; refrigerate until ready to serve (cover if refrigerating more than an hour so the desserts do not absorb odours from the fridge).
Makes 4 individual desserts; can easily be doubled, tripled or more.