Fish and fruit are such a perfect combination. This particular dish was inspired by an article I read which talked about the popular Hawaiian pairing of canned Spam and pineapple (I kid you not). That might be tasty….but I think salmon and pineapple is even better. While I like to prepare a bed of mild-flavoured quinoa for this salmon dish, rice or couscous would be equally good.
- 1 leek (white part only), split, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 8 thin (1/3 inch or 1 cm) slices fresh pineapple
- 2 salmon fillets, approximately 5 ounces (140 grams) each
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced red pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) minced scallions (green onions)
- 2 – 3 teaspoons (10 – 15 mL) honey, to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh lime juice (or more, to taste)
- few dashes hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons (60 mL) chopped pistachios
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter (or heat olive oil) over medium heat. Add sliced leeks and cook, stirring, for several minutes, until leeks are softened.
- Add quinoa and water to saucepan. Cover and increase heat to medium high. As soon as the quinoa comes to a boil, reduce heat to lowest setting. Cook, covered, for about 40 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- While quinoa cooks, preheat barbeque to hot (approximately 400F).
- While barbeque is heating, lay out two 12 inch (30 cm) square pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Place two large pineapple slices in the centre of each foil square.
- Place salmon on top of pineapple; top with additional slices of pineapple so the salmon is completely covered on both sides.
- Fold up the edges of the foil to seal the packet tightly.
- When the grill is hot, place the salmon packets on the grate. Flip once after ten minutes; cook for a total of twenty minutes.
- While salmon is cooking, prepare the avocado salsa. In a small bowl, combine diced avocado, red pepper, scallions, honey, lime juice and hot sauce. Stir gently to blend well. Add more honey, lime juice or hot sauce to suit your tastes, along with salt and pepper.
- To plate, put cooked quinoa in the bottom of a broad soup plate. Top with pineapple and salmon. Spoon avocado salsa over top and sprinkle with chopped pistachios.