A fun and flavourful treat!
I’m so happy to share my new favourite appetizer. Also my new favourite lunch, mid-afternoon snack and late-night treat…. The banana peppers came from Bergeron Gardens at the Ottawa Farmers’ Market and I always keep both chèvre and proscuitto in the freezer as they are so versatile. I love dishes with a subtle bit of heat rather than those that leave me feeling scorched, and these beauties deliver just the right amount of kick, balanced by the creamy chèvre and salty proscuitto.
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 4 banana peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chèvre, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) torn basil leaves
- Preheat the barbeque to medium-hot (400F).
- In a frying pan or on a parchment-lined tray in a hot oven, cook prosciutto until it is thoroughly crispy. Watch it closely so it does not burn. Set aside to cool.
- Place peppers, cut side down, on the hot grill. Cook for 10 minutes, turning several times, until skin side is beginning to char. Remove from grill.
- While peppers are cooking, crumble the crispy prosciutto into the chèvre. Add the basil and stir gently to combine well.
- Once peppers are cooked, let them cool for 2 minutes (or longer) and fill them with the chèvre mixture.
- Serve within an hour.
- If making ahead, refrigerate for up to 24 hours and remove from fridge one hour before serving.
Serves 4 – 8 people.