A fun and fresh flavour combination!
I’ve long been a fan of watermelon salads but feel like this one is the tastiest I’ve ever made. It’s best to assemble this salad immediately before serving; to speed things up, you can prepare all the components ahead and refrigerate; the watermelon will need to be drained before adding it to the serving bowl. The lime juice should keep the avocado from browning but if you want it at its peak, it’s best to peel and dice it right before combining all the ingredients at serving time. For another savoury take on watermelon, check out this delicious salsa recipe.
- 6 cups (900 g) seedless watermelon, cut into 3/4” (2 cm) cubes
- 4 cups (120 g) baby spinach leaves, washed
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup (75 g) crumbled feta
- Place the spinach and watermelon in a large bowl and toss gently.
- Peel and dice the avocadoes into a small bowl. Halve the lime and squeeze one half over the diced avocado; toss to coat evenly.
- Add the avocado to the watermelon and spinach.
- In a small jar, shake together the juice from the other half of the lime with the olive oil, maple syrup and a few grinds of salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the watermelon and spinach; toss gently. Add avocado and toss very gently once more.
- Garnish with chopped mint and crumbled feta then serve.
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a side dish; recipe can easily be multiplied.
I thought I’’d made just about every combination of watermelon salad, but obviously not! I love this!
Thank you – it is such a fun ingredient to play with.