A delicious, nutritious and satisfying dish!
Greek salads are one of my go-to’s for summer entertaining as they are so fresh and flavourful, plus they’re super simple to prepare. I usually prep all the ingredients in advance, then assemble right before serving so the vegetables stay crisp. I find they’re a great sidekick for grilled chicken, pork or fish but also enjoyable on their own. Swapping out the lettuce for potatoes might be a little unconventional, but I like how hearty and satisfying this version is, while still being gluten-free and great for vegetarians (vegans too, if you use a non-dairy cheese). If you enjoy this recipe, you might also like my Greek salad with freekeh.
- 1 pound (454 g) small potatoes
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) kosher salt
- 1/3 cup (17 g) thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) white vinegar
- 1 cup (200 g) halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (150 g) chopped green or red pepper
- 1 cup (135 g) chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup (90 g) pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) dried oregano
- 5 tablespoons (75 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (100 g) crumbled feta (or vegan substitute)
- Tzatziki, to serve (optional but delicious)
- Quarter small potatoes (or cut larger one into 3/4 inch (2 cm) cubes. Place in a pot and cover with cold water. Add salt; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain immediately when done and set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, put red onion in a bowl and cover with ice water and 1 tablespoon (15 mL) white vinegar and let soak 10 minutes, then drain. This will make the raw onions much milder and more pleasant-tasting.
- Also while potatoes cook, chop vegetables and crumble feta; set aside.
- Make dressing by combining vinegar, lemon, salt, pepper and oregano in a small jar with a tight lid. Cover and shake. Add olive oil and shake again.
- To assemble salad, place cooked potatoes in the bottom of a broad salad bowl. Drizzle with half the dressing and toss to combine. The dressed potatoes can sit at room temperature for up to 2 hours before you finish assembling the salad.
- To complete, put the prepared vegetables and olives on top of the potatoes and drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Toss gently to combine then sprinkle feta over top and serve tzatziki on the side, if using.
Serves 4; recipe can easily be multiplied.