A bowl that’s brimming with flavour, colour and texture!
Crunchy croutons, crisp greens and creamy avocado are the base of this great salad which also features a zippy dressing to keep the flavours bright and fresh. Use sourdough, focaccia or any other rustic-style loaf – gluten-free if you prefer – to give the salad some substance. ‘Everything bagel’ spice blend is available in lots of grocery stores now, or you can use my recipe to make a batch of this very versatile seasoning.
- 4 slices rustic bread, cut in 3/4 inch (2 cm) cubes
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 teaspoons (20 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) Dijon
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups (170 g) mixed greens
- 1 cup (100 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) ‘everything bagel’ spice blend, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- To make croutons, warm a large skillet placed over medium heat. Alternatively, you can bake the croutons on a parchment-lined baking tray in a 375F oven; they’ll take the same amount of time.
- Make the croutons by tossing the bread cubes and olive oil in a bowl. Spread out in a single layer in the skillet or on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fry or bake for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until golden brown on the outside but still soft on the inside. Croutons can be prepared a day ahead.
- Prepare the dressing by putting the ingredients in a small jar with a tight lid. Cover and shake to blend well.
- Put the lettuce, cherry tomatoes and avocado in a bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss gently to combine. Arrange the dressed vegetables on two serving plates. Top with croutons and sprinkle with ‘everything bagel’ spice blend and serve immediately, with a lemon wedge on the side if you like things extra tangy.
Serves 2; recipe can easily be multiplied.