A bowl that’s brimming with flavour, colour and texture!
Crunchy croutons, crisp greens and creamy avocado are the base of this great salad which also features a zippy dressing to keep the flavours bright and fresh. Use sourdough, focaccia or any other rustic-style loaf – gluten-free if you prefer – to give the salad some substance. ‘Everything bagel’ spice blend is available in lots of grocery stores now, or you can use my recipe to make a batch of this very versatile seasoning.
- 4 slices rustic bread, cut in 3/4 inch (2 cm) cubes
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 teaspoons (20 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) Dijon
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups (170 g) mixed greens
- 1 cup (100 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) ‘everything bagel’ spice blend, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a small baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make the croutons by tossing the bread cubes and olive oil in a bowl. Spread out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, until golden brown on the outside but still soft on the inside. Croutons can be prepared a day ahead.
- Prepare the dressing by putting the ingredients in a small jar with a tight lid. Cover and shake to blend well.
- Put the lettuce, cherry tomatoes and avocado in a bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss gently to combine. Arrange the dressed vegetables on two serving plates. Top with croutons and sprinkle with ‘everything bagel’ spice blend and serve immediately, with a lemon wedge on the side if you like things extra tangy.
Serves 2; recipe can easily be multiplied.