A protein-packed treat the whole family will love!
These little two-bite gems are so delicious that even ardent carnivores seem to love them, including my husband who previously swore he would never enjoy tofu, until he tasted these! They’re ideal for families who are learning about the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle but great for omnivores too. Simple to make, they are as satisfying and nutritious as they are tasty.
- 1 block firm tofu, drained
- Plain or flavoured olive oil (I like garlic oil)
- Nutritional yeast flakes *
- Plum, honey garlic or barbeque sauce, for dipping
* available at most health food stores
- Preheat panini press to high heat (or use a large, heavy duty frying pan placed over medium-high heat).
- Cut a portion of the block of tofu into uniform slices no more than 1/4 inch (.6 cm) thick. Any leftover tofu can be wrapped tightly and refrigerated for 3 days.
- For about half the block of tofu, sliced, you’ll need to pour about 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast onto the centre of a plate.
- Brush both sides of each slice with flavoured (or regular) olive oil.
- Place slices on hot panini grill in a single layer. Cook for 10 – 12 minutes until browned and crispy. If cooking in a frying pan, cook for about 7 minutes, then flip and cook about 7 minutes more until nicely browned on both sides.
- Remove the hot, cooked tofu slices one at a time from the grill or pan and place on the plate with the yeast flakes, pressing down slightly so the flakes adhere. Flip over and repeat with the other side.
- Serve hot, with your favourite dipping sauce.