A great use for unripe, ripe or over-ripened bananas!
Did you know that a banana plant only produces one crop of fruit in its lifetime? All the more reason to cherish every banana – even those sad-looking ones covered in brown spots. Don’t throw them out – bake with them, and use this recipe because it makes the most delicious banana muffins ever. No time to incorporate overripe bananas up into something tasty? Simply put overripe bananas into the freezer (don’t peel them) and save them for your next baking project. And if you have a hankering to make this recipe but only have unripe bananas on hand, just bake them (with the peels still on) for 15 – 20 minutes at 300F OR poke them right through the peel in a few places with the tip of a sharp knife and microwave for 30 – 60 seconds. If you prefer, you can also bake this recipe in a loaf pan – either way, it freezes beautifully as well.
- 1 3/4 cups (335 mL) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each white and brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain yogurt or sour cream
- 3 mushy bananas*
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted walnut pieces, if desired
*If using frozen overripe bananas, let thaw, skins on, for about 30 minutes before starting recipe. You’ll want to put them on a plate while they are thawing as they might ooze a bit. Peel just when adding to mixture so the flesh does not turn brown.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Put sugars in a large mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter to sugars and stir to combine.
- Beat in egg, then add yogurt or sour cream and beat again.
- Stir in bananas, chocolate chips and nuts (if using).
- Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scoop batter into 18 paper-lined muffin tin compartments or a parchment-lined 5″ x 9” (12.5 x 22.5 cm).
- Bake muffins for 18 – 20 minutes, until tester inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Bake loaf 45 – 55 minutes until tester comes out clean.
- Let loaf or muffins cool on rack for a few minutes before serving.
Makes 18 muffins or one loaf.