You won’t miss the meat when you taste this treat!
I’m really having fun thinking about food in different ways these days. Not only am I looking at alternate protein sources, I’m also looking at transforming some favourite ingredients into little flavour bombs. The carrot ‘bacon’ that is the crowning glory of this sandwich is a perfect example. It’s so easy to make and it is incredibly delicious. Be sure to use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce if you prefer to make the ‘bacon’ gluten-free. If you like this carrot ‘bacon’, you might also enjoy my crispy vegan coconut ‘bacon bits’.
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) oil (canola, avocado, olive or coconut)
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) tahini (optional but delicious)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) liquid smoke seasoning (optional but delicious; available at most large grocery stores)
- 2 slices toasted bread (use gluten-free if you like)
- Tomato slices
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Carrot ‘bacon’ strips
- To make the carrot ‘bacon’, preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel a large carrot and trim the ends off. With a y-peeler, mandoline or very sharp knife, cut the carrot into very thin ribbons (about 1/8 inch or 3 mm thick). Lay the strips of carrot out on the parchment-lined sheet, in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the tamari, oil, maple syrup, tahini, smoked paprika and liquid smoke. Brush the tops of the carrot strips lightly but thoroughly with this mixture (try to avoid making big puddles of sauce on the baking sheet).
- Bake 10 minutes in the preheated oven then remove pan from oven. Flip the carrot strips over and brush the other side lightly with the remaining soy/tamari mixture (you may not need it all).
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and cook 7 – 10 minutes more, until carrot strips are fairly well dried but still chewy (taste one to determine doneness).
- Assemble sandwich by spreading vegan mayonnaise on toasted bread then layering carrot ‘bacon’, tomato slices and lettuce in between.
- Reserve leftover carrot bacon in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Makes 1 sandwich.