Crispy baked chicken a flavourful treat!
I have always been a fan of fried chicken. Crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside…absolute perfection. But, I don’t make it that often because fried foods are not the healthiest option AND I really don’t like to having my kitchen smell of oil for a day or two afterwards. This baked option is a great alternative – it’s easy and delivers all the tasty joy of fried chicken without the fuss or oil! It’s based on my buttermilk-brined chicken recipe but this time I switched things up by using finely crushed corn chips for a gluten-free version. My crunchy coating of choice was Cool Ranch Doritos, but you could use Fritos, plain tortilla chips or other flavours of Doritos as well (be aware that most but not all flavours of Doritos are gluten-free). These delicious chicken delights are also fantastic sandwiched in a bun with lettuce and tomatoes if you’re looking for another way to enjoy them.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) buttermilk (or regular milk + 1 tablespoon / 15 mL vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 – 2 teaspoons (5 – 10 mL) hot sauce (Tabasco and Frank’s are both gluten-free)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups (340 g – 450 g) finely crushed corn chips
- 2 tablespoons (60 mL) melted butter
- Combine the buttermilk, pepper and hot sauce in a bowl and stir until evenly combined.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half to create two thin fillets out of each breast.
- Put the chicken in a baking dish or a large ziplock bag just large enough to hold it and pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken. Cover the dish (or seal the bag) and refrigerate 2 – 48 hours, turning occasionally.
- Heat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and place a wire rack on top of the lined sheet.
- Place the crushed corn chips in a shallow dish (I use a pie plate).
- Remove the pieces of chicken one at a time from the buttermilk marinade, letting the excess drip off for a moment.
- Place the chicken pieces, also one at a time, in the crushed corn chips, turning to coat completely and pressing the crumbs onto the chicken to adhere. Place the coated chicken on the wire rack set over the baking tray.
- When all the chicken is crumb-coated, drizzle the melted butter evenly over the chicken.
- Bake until golden and crispy and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the largest piece of chicken registers 165°F, about 30 minutes.
Serves 6 – 8.