Delicious 3-ingredient pudding takes just 5 minutes to make!
I’ve long been a fan of exotically-named desserts like budino and pots de crème, the Italian and French versions of the ever-so-boring-sounding pudding. Not to be confused with the generic use of the word ‘pudding’ in the United Kingdom to denote virtually any kind of dessert, creamy homemade puddings – or, in this case, pots de crème – are rich and satisfying, even in small quantities. This version is a snap to make and as a bonus, you can freeze the little dishes if you prefer serving it as delightful frozen custard instead. If you can’t find salted caramel baking chips, you can use butterscotch instead, or dark chocolate ones for another terrific treat.
- 1 3/4 cups (400 mL) whipping (heavy) cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) salted caramel baking chips
- Heat cream in a medium-sized, heavy duty saucepan placed over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
- While cream heats, whisk egg yolks in a heatproof bowl or glass measuring cup.
- When cream is hot to the touch but not boiling, slowly drizzle 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cream into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. This tempers the eggs so they will cook evenly and not get clumpy.
- Add the egg and cream mixture back to the pot and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 – 3 minutes until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add salted caramel baking chips to the pot and whisk until melted.
- Pour the pudding mixture into 6 small ramekins (1/2 cup or 125 mL each). Pour the mixture through a small sieve if it appears to have lumps.
- Refrigerate (or freeze) until set.