Bite-sized way to enjoy a favourite treat!
I adore pie, but sometimes I find a whole slice, even a sliver, can just be too much after a rich meal. That’s one of the reasons I love to experiment with squares; they offer a great alternative to larger portions of dessert while providing the same sweet finish. Squares are also a great option for those who feel intimidated at the thought of making pastry. This recipe features a nutty shortbread crust topped with a deliciously gooey layer; the bourbon in the filling adds a slightly unique but not overpowering flavour. They can be made ahead and frozen for up to a month.
- 1 3/4 cups (435 mL) flour
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) white sugar
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) corn syrup
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cups (90 mL) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) bourbon (can substitute with 2 teaspoons vanilla)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) coarsely chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 inch (22.5 x 32.5 cm) baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make crust by combining flour, butter and sugar in a large bowl (a stand mixer is great for this, if you have one).
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Scrape down sides a few times as needed.
- Stir in 1/3 cup chopped pecans.
- Press crust mixture evenly onto bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Place in centre of preheated oven and bake 18 – 20 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown. Remove from oven but don’t turn oven off.
- While crust is baking, make filling by combine corn syrup, brown sugar, eggs, flour, salt and bourbon in a large bowl (can do this by hand or using a stand or electric mixer). Stir in pecans.
- Once crust has completed its partial baking, spread filling evenly over crust.
- Bake an additional 25 – 30 minutes or until filling is set (jiggle pan to check).
- Let cool on a wire rack and cut into 1 1 /2 inch (3.75 cm) squares.
Makes 4 dozen squares.