New homemade snacking chip a big hit!
These baked wonton crisps make sturdy dippers for all sorts of occasions. Because they have a neutral flavour and are not salty, it’s the dip that shines; I also really like that they’re baked with just a light brushing of oil, making them a healthier alternative to fried crisps. Best of all, you can make them ahead of time! Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs or even cinnamon and sugar if you want to flavour them up a little. In addition to the super-easy pesto dips below, the crisps would be great with antipasto, hummus or just about anything, so make a big batch!
- 1 package of wonton or egg roll wrappers (find them in the refrigerated produce section)
- canola oil
*note that if you only want to use part of the package, unused wonton or egg roll wrappers can be wrapped tightly and frozen for up to six months.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut 3 inch wonton wrappers into halves on the diagonal (creating two triangles out of each square wrapper). If using the larger 6 inch egg roll wrappers, cut them into eighths on the diagonal.
- Brush a baking sheet lightly with oil then place the triangles of dough in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Flip the wonton triangles over so both sides get a light coating of oil.
- Bake for 5 – 7 minutes until golden and crispy. Watch them closely during the last few minutes of baking so they don’t over cook.
- Remove from oven and place crisps on a wire rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Two-toned Pesto Dips
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) goat cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) basil pesto
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sun dried tomato pesto
- Combine sour cream, goat cheese and grated parmesan in a small bowl.
- Put half of the sour cream mixture into each of two shallow dishes.
- Top one dish with the basil pesto; put the sun dried tomato pesto on the other.
- Don’t stir the dip; this will happen automatically as it gets eaten.
- Cover both bowls and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with wonton crisps, crackers or vegetables for dipping.