An extraordinarily delicious culinary mash-up!
It seems I am saying something quite often in my kitchen these days, which is “why didn’t I think of this before?” Tucking pizza toppings inside a grilled cheese sandwich is such a simple yet stellar idea and I know it’s an experiment I will be repeating extremely often. As with traditional pizza, you can easily vary the fillings to suit your preferences, but I would recommend sticking with the ratios provided below so you get a sandwich that holds together well. If you’re looking for a few other inventive ways to enjoy the perennially-popular flavours of pizza, check out my pizza biscuits, pizza-stuffed portobellos, pizza muffins or my pizza cobbler.
- 3/4 cup (62 g) grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup (57 g) minced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons (4 g) minced sweet or green onion
- 1/2 cup (75 g) minced pepperoni
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) pizza sauce
- 4 teaspoons (19 g) softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices bread (regular or gluten-free)
- additional pizza sauce for dipping (optional)
- Prepare the sandwich filling up to 24 hours in advance. In a bowl, combine the mozzarella, green pepper (or other minced vegetables), onion, pepperoni and pizza sauce. Stir to blend well then refrigerate until ready to cook sandwiches.
- In a small bowl, stir together softened butter and garlic powder. Set aside.
- When ready to make sandwiches, spread the garlic butter on the outsides of the bread slices. Lay two slices in a large frying pan, butter sides down. Spread half of the pizza filling on each slice of bread, then press remaining two bread slices on top.
- Fry the sandwiches over medium heat, turning once very carefully, until both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Slice in half and serve with a small bowl of pizza sauce for dipping, if desired.
Makes 2 sandwiches; recipe can easily be multiplied.
Now this is a perfect after school snack!
A perfect anytime snack! 🙂
WOW!! This sounds amazing.