A sweet and savoury side dish!
These carrots are the perfect accompaniment to roasted meats or fish; they’d be superb for an Easter or Passover dinner. While this dish is terrific as-is, you can also add additional seasonings to the carrots before roasting, if you like: ginger and cumin both complement carrots’ natural sweetness very nicely. I also recommend adding a colourful garnish or crunchy topping when serving – chopped fresh herbs, microgreens, roasted seeds, chopped nuts or toasted panko are all tasty options! While an air fryer definitely speeds up the process of cooking these carrots, you can easily roast and glaze them in a conventional oven at 400F on a parchment-lined baking sheet; cooking times will be slightly longer. For more ideas on delicious ways to transform carrots into a menu superstar, check out this carrot recipe roundup.
- 1 lb (454 g) carrots, peeled and cut into sticks of uniform thickness
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
- Few pinches salt and pepper plus any other seasoning of your choice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) maple syrup
- Optional: chopped herbs, microgreens or crunchy garnish of choice
- Place prepared carrots in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss to coat evenly.
- If needed, preheat air fryer to 400F. Add carrots and cook 6 – 8 minutes (don’t wash the bowl they were in as you’ll use it again). They should feel firm but tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- When carrots are par-tender, transfer back into the bowl they were in before. Drizzle with maple syrup and toss to coat evenly then return to air fryer for another 3 – 4 minutes until fully cooked and nicely glazed.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish as desired. Serve hot.
Serves 3 – 4.