A 20 minute easy and flavourful meal!
I love making pasta recipes with orzo because the cute little rice-shaped grains cook so quickly and I find their small size allows the other elements of the dish to shine brightly rather than being overwhelmed by the noodles. Both of those things are true in this flavourful meal that comes together so easily, making it perfect for a quick weeknight meal (but delectable enough for a special dinner also). This dish can be enjoyed warm or cold, and could easily be made with chicken or tofu if you prefer. If you’re looking for other easy pasta ideas, check out my sausage-vegetable orzo or creamy orzo with mushrooms and spinach.
- 1 1/4 cups (210 g) orzo
- 2 teaspoons (12 g) coarse kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (95 g) diced red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- 3/4 cup (100g) fresh or frozen peas
- 7 oz (200 g) raw shrimp, thawed peeled and deveined (about 15 large)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.2 g) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fresh lemon (or more, to taste)
- 2/3 cup (13 g) fresh dill, chopped, plus more to garnish
- 1 cup (90 g) crumbled feta, plus more to garnish (or chèvre, if you prefer)
- Prepare all ingredients before you begin to cook.
- Place a large pot of water over medium high heat. Add coarse salt; cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Zest the lemon and set zest aside. Juice the lemon and set aside separately from the zest.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped shallot and garlic; sauté until softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente (about 8 minutes).
- While pasta cooks, add peppers and peas to the skillet with the shallot and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes, then push vegetables to one side of the pan.
- Add remaining olive oil to the empty space in the pan and heat for 30 seconds then add shrimp and sauté for 3 – 5 minutes until shrimp is tender and cooked through. Add white wine and cook for 1 minute more then remove from heat and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Drain pasta, saving 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the hot pasta cooking water.
- Add the hot cooked orzo to the skillet with the vegetables and shrimp. Stir in reserved pasta cooking water and lemon juice, adding more lemon juice and pepper to suit your tastes. Fold in the fresh dill and feta. Refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle additional dill and feta on top.
Serves 3 – 4.