A delicious way to enjoy one of early summer’s treats!
Forget what the calendar says – where I live, the first day I see fresh local strawberries available for sale is like the first day of summer for me. I eat as many as I can during their brief season, and I bake up, puree, pickle and freeze basket upon basket as well. Thanks to new, everbearing plants we can now get local strawberries for many months but in my opinion, the ones of mid to late June always taste the best. One of my favourite ways to enjoy strawberries is in this not-too-spicy, not-too-tart salsa (although you can easily adjust the seasonings to make it bolder if you prefer). While it’s a super snack, it also makes a terrific sidekick for grilled chicken.
- 5 cups (375mL) chopped fresh, ripe strawberries
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) finely diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) diced English cucumber
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped cilantro
- Zest of 1 lime plus 3 tablespoons (45 mL) lime juice, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) maple syrup, or to taste
- Several dashes hot sauce, or to taste
- Combine strawberries, onion, cucumbers and cilantro in a bowl.
- Add lime zest and juice, salt and pepper, maple syrup and hot sauce.
- Stir to blend well. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Cover and let sit for 1 – 3 hours; refrigerate for up to 48 hours.
Makes approximately 2 cups (500 mL).