A fresh and flexible pasta dish ready in 10 minutes!
This pasta dish is one of my husband’s favourites and I’m glad since it’s so easy to make and I love it too. While I usually follow the recipe as described below, it’s easy to use vegetable broth and non-dairy butter and cheese alternatives to make this a delicious vegetarian or vegan pasta dish. You can also add in extra vegetables if you like – sautéed onions, peppers and sliced mushrooms are all great. As a bonus, this sauce can be made ahead and reheated; it freezes well also.
- 1 pound (454 g) fresh linguine or fettucine
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) salted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) small capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) white wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 6 oz / 170 mL jar artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley and additional grated Parmesan, to garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While water is heating, begin sauce by heating olive oil in a medium-sized skillet placed over medium heat. When oil is warm, add butter. When butter has melted, add flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, watching flour carefully so it does not burn.
- Add chicken broth, minced garlic, capers, wine (if using) and lemon juice to the pan.
- Remove artichoke hearts from the jar and slice lengthwise, discarding any outer leaves that are really coarse. Add artichokes to the pan along with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of the liquid from the jar of artichoke hearts.
- Add Parmesan and a little bit of salt and pepper; taste and adjust salt, pepper or lemon juice to suit your preferences. Stir the sauce and let it come to a boil then reduce heat so that it just simmers while you cook the pasta.
- Cook pasta until just al dente (fresh pasta normally requires just 3 – 5 minutes) and drain. Divide among 4 serving bowls and top with hot sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley leaves and a sprinkling of Parmesan.