An easy, portable meal the whole family will love!
So often we think of muffins as being a sweet treat, but savoury muffins are just as terrific. Aside from the fantastic flavour and texture of these muffins, I adore them because they freeze beautifully and they make a great meal-on-the-go. If you enjoy this easy recipe, you might also want to check out my pizza biscuits and mini pizza quiches.
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) white sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried basil
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced pepperoni, salami or cooked bacon (optional)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) minced shallots, red onion or green onions
- 1 3/4 cups (430 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 18 compartments of a muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, basil and oregano.
- In another bowl mix sour cream or yogurt, eggs and milk. Add melted butter, stirring well to combine.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix just until there are no more dry spots, taking care not to overmix. Add in green pepper, mushrooms, pepperoni (if using), onions and 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Add approximately two teaspoons (10 mL) of pizza sauce on top of each muffin then sprinkle remaining mozzarella evenly over top.
- Bake for 14 – 16 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes then enjoy warm or at room temperature. For freezing, allow to completely cool on wire rack before transferring to an airtight container.
Makes 18 muffins.