The perfect easy cookie: chewy and flavourful!
I think I might throw out the classic peanut butter cookie recipe that I’ve been using all my life, now that I’ve tasted these beauties. They’re rich-tasting and not too sweet, letting the key ingredients (peanut butter and chocolate) shine through. The best part? You can make them vegan AND gluten-free if you wish!
- 1 cup (250 mL) peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) flour (all purpose, oat or rice flour)
- 2/3 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) applesauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) carob or vegan chocolate chips
- Put all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir to blend well.
- Refrigerate dough for at least one hour (or freeze for 15 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350F. While oven heats, use a small cookie dough scoop or two spoons to shape it into balls approximately 1 tablespoon (15 mL) in size. Place cookie dough balls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten slightly with the tines of a fork.
- Note that cookie dough balls can be shaped and frozen. To bake from frozen, increase cooking time by 2 – 3 minutes.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Note that the cookies will look a bit underdone but they will be fully cooked and will stay chewy for days as they are not overbaked.
- Let the cookies cool and firm up for at least 15 minutes before removing from the baking tray.
- Store cookies in an airtight container, layered with parchment paper, in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for longer storage.
Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.