Who needs bread for breakfast when you’ve got these?
Let the record show that I do love bread. I bake a few loaves each week for my family and it’s one of the most pleasurable activities I undertake in my kitchen. That doesn’t mean I don’t understand people who choose not to eat bread, for whatever reason. The popularity of gluten-free meals is precisely why I came up with this little breakfast beauty. These breadless baked eggs are so easy to make and ever so cute to serve. I find two per person is an appropriate portion, though I think my husband would have happily wolfed down four or five.
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 sweet red or green peppers
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped chives or green onions, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Form bacon slices into circles, overlapping slightly, and place each one into a compartment of a muffin pan.
- Cut peppers into circles the same size as the bottom of each muffin pan compartment. Place one piece of pepper in the bottom, fitting it inside the circular bacon strip.
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes, until bacon looks to be about 75% cooked. Check pan several times and use two forks to press bacon back to the edges of the muffin pan compartments, if needed.
- NOTE that you can prepare bacon cups to this point then refrigerate overnight in the muffin pan. Before adding eggs, re-warm pan with bacon in preheated oven for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Crack eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl then tip each egg into one compartment of the muffin pan, making sure the yolk is inside the bacon circle. Some of the white may sneak out; this is okay.
- Return pan to oven and bake 10 minutes more for slightly runny yolks; 12 minutes for firm yolks.
- Remove from oven and run a knife (an offset spatula is great if you have one) around each compartment to loosen the bacon and eggs. Carefully lift out of pan, being sure to include peppers.
- Garnish with chopped chives or green onions and a bit of salt and pepper and serve hot
Makes 6 bacon and egg bites.