A fresh new way to enjoy leftover chicken or turkey!
This flavourful recipe doesn’t take long to prepare and you can make it even faster by whipping up the dressing a day ahead. Massaging the cabbage with a bit of salt then draining it is a great way to soften the leaves and make them both easier to chew and more digestible. Hot tip: an optional super speedy dressing that is equally tasty on this salad is to mix 1/4 cup (60 mL) of sweet chili sauce with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of water.
- 5 cups (1.25 L) (about 1/2 medium head) of green cabbage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) sriracha (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) soy sauce (or tamari, for a gluten-free version)
- 1 teaspoon (15 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) canola oil
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions (green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, slivered
- 1 cup (250 mL) cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked chicken or turkey, shredded
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) coarsely chopped salted, roasted peanuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) black sesame seeds
- Put sliced cabbage and salt in a large bowl. Toss repeatedly for 2 minutes with your hands, massaging salt into cabbage to wilt it. Let sit while you prepare the dressing.
- Put lime zest and juice, rice vinegar, sriracha, soy sauce, maple syrup and canola oil in a jar with a tight lid. Cover and shake well to blend. Taste and adjust maple syrup, soy sauce or rice vinegar to suit your preferences.
- Put salted cabbage in a colander and rinse briefly with lukewarm water. Shake colander repeatedly to remove excess moisture from cabbage.
- Transfer cabbage to a clean large bowl. Add celery, green onions, red pepper, cilantro and chicken or turkey to the cabbage and toss to combine.
- Shake dressing to combine again then drizzle over cabbage mixture.
- Top with peanuts and sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Serves 3 – 4.