A festive treat for the whole family!
My family knows the phrase ‘pumpkin spice’ drives me bonkers. When, why and how did the warm, comforting spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves become the exclusive domain of pumpkins or pumpkin pie? In my mind, we should all be saying ‘gingerbread spice’ instead. Hence this drink. It’s so easy to make and super tasty, plus you can customize it with your favourite kind of milk and the right amount of sweetness for your tastebuds.
Gingerbread spice blend:
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ginger
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cloves
For one drink:
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk (regular, almond, soy or coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) molasses (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon gingerbread spice blend
- Whipped cream (optional but delicious)
- In a microwave-safe jug (or in a small pot on the stove), heat milk, molasses and spicy gently until the mixture is just steaming – don’t let it come to a boil.
- Pour into a mug and top with whipped cream.