Whip up a tasty snack in your waffle maker!
When my kids were little, I enjoyed coming up with new recipes to entice them to join me in the kitchen. I wish I’d thought of these tasty treats way back then as I am sure I could have persuaded them to make them with me on a weekly, or possibly even daily, basis. They’re so delicious and fun – perfect for snacking, or a great lunch if you add in a salad on the side.
- 10 ounce (300 grams) block of mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) OR gluten-free breadcrumbs
- canola oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pizza sauce or salsa
- Cut mozzarella into 1 x 1 x 1/2 inch (2.5 x 2.5 x 1.25 cm) cubes
- Put flour in a small, shallow bowl; blend in oregano.
- Put egg in a bowl, put Panko in a third bowl.
- Roll cheese cubes one at a time in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, making sure they are thoroughly coated with breadcrumbs. Place on a plate while you finish preparing the rest of the cheese cubes.
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Grease waffle plates lightly with canola oil.
- Add one coated cheese cube per compartment of your waffle maker.
- Cook 3 minutes, until breadcrumb coating is golden brown and cheese has melted. If the breadcrumb coating sticks to the top plate, just pry it off and stick it back on the cheese – it will adhere perfectly.
- Let sit for 2 minutes before eating; serve with pizza sauce for dipping.
Makes 8 mozzarella melts; recipe can easily be multiplied.