A great blend that makes a versatile gift from the kitchen!
Whenever I serve meat that’s been prepared with this rub, it gets rave reviews. While you might be tempted to make a huge quantity, it’s best to make this rub in small batches to ensure freshness and to maintain the correct proportions of each flavour element. If you like, you can help rub adhere to raw meat by moistening the meat first with a little water, oil, beer or wine.
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) ground coffee (not instant)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) powdered mustard
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cumin
- Spoon all ingredients into a small bowl and mix together to blend well.
- Transfer to a resealable bag or a 1/2 cup (125 mL) jar with a tight lid and store for up to 6 months at room temperature.
- To use, apply rub thinly to meat and let sit for at least 15 minutes or up to an hour before cooking.