An attractive and practical edible gift!
I love gifting treats from my kitchen to friends and family. Some of my favourites include roasted spiced nuts, salted caramel pretzel bark and flavourful caramel-apple jelly. You can find loads more edible gift ideas on this blog! This year, I added something new to the repertoire: a layered dry soup mix with instructions on how to transform the jar’s contents into an aromatic, delicious pot of soup. You should be able to find all the ingredients needed to make this soup mix at your local bulk food store.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) powdered coconut milk
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) dry red lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry green lentils
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) curry powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) turmeric
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) dehydrated minced onion
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) dehydrated tomato flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- Spoon the powdered coconut milk into a small sealable bag; seal, and place on the bottom of a 2 cup / 500 mL canning jar.
- Layer the red and green lentils on top of the coconut milk powder in five separate 1/4 cup layers (starting and ending with red lentils). Use a small spoon after each layer to pat down and smooth so that the layers are clearly visible.
- Add bay leaves on top of the last lentil layer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the curry powder, turmeric, minced onion and chopped sun dried tomato. Transfer to another small sealable bag; place on top of the bay leaves and put the lid on the jar.
Include this recipe with your soup mix when you gift it (here’s a printable version):