The best way to enjoy farm-fresh corn!
I’m prepared to take some heat for this admission. Many of you will be shocked to learn that I had never tasted the marvelous street food that is Mexican grilled corn on the cob – usually called Elotes Mexicanos – until it was served to me by Ontario’s charcuterie king, Mike McKenzie of Seed to Sausage, at an event last week. In my defence, I’ve never been to Mexico … but now I am more eager than ever to get there. Farm-fresh corn is at its peak right now and this is the ONLY way I’ll be serving it this season. The combination of ingredients plays off beautifully against the corn’s natural sweetness. If you enjoy this recipe, you might also like my grilled corn, tomatillo and red pepper salsa or this delightful grilled corn and zucchini salad.
- 4 ears of fresh corn, shucked
- 5 teaspoons (25 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) sour cream
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) very finely crumbled feta cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) chili powder, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- While barbeque (grill) preheats to medium-high heat, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, chili powder and finely crumbled feta in a shallow, broad bowl. Stir until well blended and refrigerate until needed.
- When grill is hot, place corn directly on the grate and cook, turning occasionally, until kernels are tender (test with the tip of a sharp knife) and corn is lightly charred. This should take about 8 – 10 minutes depending upon how hot your grill is. Remove corn from grill.
- With tongs, hold hot corn cobs over cheese mixture and use a large spoon (or your fingers) to evenly coat corn on all sides. Place on a platter and garnish with chopped cilantro, a little more feta and lime wedges (for squeezing over top). Have a shaker of chili powder available so those who wish extra heat can sprinkle some more on.
Makes 4 irresistible ears of deliciousness.
OMG!! I just finished a feeding frenzy – there are corn kernels stuck to my face, in my hair, and all over my clothes!! I could live on this!!! It’s a tie between the corn and the vodka and vinegar recipes – I’m in heaven!!!
This just might be the best comment EVER. So happy you loved it!
Looks so tempting!
Thank you! I crave this dish almost every day. 🙂