A cookie that hits all the right notes!
I think these cookies are infused with a little bit of magic because they have an amazing power to make you feel better every single time you taste them. Chewy, spicy, salty, caramelly and chocolately, they hit all the right notes. You’ll want to hide these after you make them as they are likely to disappear very quickly if you don’t.
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) good quality Dutch-process cocoa (I like Cuisine Camino’s cocoa powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon (3.75 mL) each baking powder and soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (185 mL) butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Skor toffee bits
- 1 cup (250 mL) dark chocolate chips
- Maldon Salt or Fleur de sel for sprinkling on top
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand-held electric mixer), beat butter until fluffy and lightened in colour.
- Add brown and white sugar and beat for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- With mixer running on slowest speed, add half of the dry ingredients and blend well. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the second half of the dry ingredients.
- When mixture is well combined, add the Skor bits and chocolate chips and blend just enough so they are evenly incorporated.
- Transfer dough to a smaller bowl. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 – 24 hours. This resting time not only chills the dough, making it easier to handle; it also allows the flour to become hydrated with the butter.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using a small cookie scoop or two teaspoons, scoop out dough in 1″ (2.5 cm) portions and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Note that the dough balls will flatten as they bake.
- Bake for 8 – 9 minutes until tops are cracking. Do not overcook as you want a brownie-like texture.
- Remove from oven, and immediately sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Let cool 5 minutes on baking tray then transfer to a wire cooling rack for 15 minutes.
Makes approximately 4 dozen delectable cookies.