A delicious meal that’s ready in 30 minutes!
This is a colourful, nutritious and – most importantly – scrumptious meal that is super easy to prepare. If you’re not familiar with halloumi you are in for a big treat with this wonderful source of protein. Halloumi is a firm, brined cheese that originated in Cyprus; it has a high melting point so it is great for frying or grilling. This dish is also a really flexible one – if you like, you can roast other vegetables such as mushrooms, peppers and zucchini in addition to the tomatoes, peaches and onions. If you’re fortunate enough to have leftovers, this meal is just as tasty the next day.
- 8 oz (250 g) package halloumi, cut in 1 x 1/2 inch x (2.5 x 1.25 cm) pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped red onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) unpeeled, chopped peaches, cut in 3/4” (2 cm) pieces
- 2 tablespoons (15 mL) olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups (415 mL) small pasta (orecchiette, radiatore, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pesto
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place the halloumi pieces on a paper towel and let dry for 5 minutes, then pat the tops dry with another piece of paper towel. Set aside.
- While halloumi is drying, put the tomatoes, peaches and onion in a bowl and drizzle with all but 2 teaspoons (10 mL) of the olive oil, then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- While tomatoes and onions are roasting, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons (10 mL) salt and the pasta. Cook until al dente (just tender).
- While pasta cooks, heat a heavy-duty frying pan over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons (10 mL) of olive oil to the pan and swirl it around, then add the halloumi and fry for 4 – 5 minutes, flipping once, until crisp. Remove pan from heat once halloumi is browned on both sides.
- Reserve 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the pasta cooking water then drain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add the cream cheese, lemon juice, pesto and reserved cooking water; stir gently until cheese has melted to form a creamy sauce. Taste and add salt and/or pepper, if desired.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, peaches, onions and halloumi to the bowl and gently toss. Garnish with chopped fresh basil then serve immediately.